Multani Sohan Halwa From Pakistan
(सोहन हलवा, سوہن حلوہ )
Sohan halwa is a traditional dessert that is consumed throughout South Asia, mostly in Pakistan, India, Iran, and Afghanistan. Different versions of this sweet dish exist, but it is usually prepared with a mixture of milk, flour, sprouted wheat, water, lemon salt, sugar, and ghee that is boiled until it has thickened and developed a caramel-like color.
Whether round or square, this halwa variety is usually filled with chopped nuts such as pistachios, almonds, and walnuts, and it is often flavored with aromatic spices such as cardamom and saffron. Once cooled down, the halwa develops a hard, candy-like texture.
Sweet and nutty, sohan halwa is sold commercially in beautifully adorned tins and is traditionally presented as a gift to family members and friends on festive occasions. Typically associated with the Pakistani city of Multan, this halwa variety’s exact roots have long been highly debated.
According to some sources, it was an original creation of a certain Hindu confectioner named Sohan, while others give credit to a renowned Governor of Multan called Deewan Sawan Mal, and yet others suggest the sweet dish is of Persian or Iranian origin.
Regardless of who created sohan halwa, this delectable sweet treat has been winning over the hearts of those who have a sweet tooth for many years.
INGREDIENTS of Sohan Halwa
• 1 liter milk
• 1/2 tsp. lemon salt• 6 tbsp. white flour• 2 tbsp. sprouted wheat flour• 1 cup sugar• 4 tbsp. pure ghee• 4-5 green cardamoms• Almonds and walnuts as requiredFor Garnish• Almonds, chopped• Pistachios chopped• Method Of Multani Sohan Halwa
• Now Paneer will separate and cook on low heat, constantly.
• When paneer mixture is reduced to half, gradually put sugar, keep stirring slowly, otherwise lumps may form. Now a smooth mixture will be formed.
• When it is thick, add ghee & cook. After 20-25 minutes, it will not stick to the pan & it will leave the sides and ghee.
• Mix almond and walnut & take out & spread it in a dish evenly & cut into the desired shapes like diamond or square pieces.
• Garnish with pistachios & almonds.